From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kyle Breneman
Sent: Friday, October 30, 2015 9:25 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] CSS positioning expertise needed

Thanks so much to all who responded!  As I said before, I was reluctant to share the full context with the list because I didn't want to share the in-house mock-ups I've received with the entire list.  Here's a summary of the question and answers received:

Context:  Our library homepage is being redesigned to responsively resize.
The work is being done by an outside design firm.  Imagine that our homepage content looks like this, where x, y, z and 1, 2, 3 are all distinct blocks of content on our homepage.:

X  Y  Z
1   2   3

When this homepage responsively resizes for smaller screens, the content arranges in a column, as below:

1
2
3

Problem:  "2" is a space where we often post graphics to market upcoming library events, so we wanted "2" to appear at the very top of our page, in mobile view (as below),

2
1
3

but the outside design company told us that this wouldn't be possible.
They said: "It’s really a coding issue. When building a page with responsive design in mind, the code is going to stack elements almost like reading a book - top to bottom, left to right to fit the mobile view . . .
We have ["2"]  almost at the “end” of content on desktop and sandwiched between to other elements, to pull that up as the very first item for mobile presents issues and may cause the transition between desktop and mobile to break."

Answers received:  Multiple people suggested creating a duplicate version of "2," wrapped in a div and at the top of all of our other homepage content, and using media queries to either display or hide this div, depending on the user's screen size.  Additionally, we would use media queries to hide the original "2" div when in mobile view.

Much gratitude to Matt Sherman, Jason Bengtson, Marya Sawaf, Cary Gordon, Heather Rayl, Andy Wagner, Lisa Haitz, and Michael Schofield for their helpful responses!

Regards,
Kyle