Apologies for cross-posting.  Please forward to those who may be
interested.

The next CopyTalk webinar will be on December 3, 2015 (the first Thursday
of the month) at 2:00 pm Eastern/11:00 am. The topic will be the triennial
1201 rulemaking proceeding, this year’s announced exemptions, and proposals
for changing this regulatory nightmare.

For those not familiar with the 1201 rulemaking process, be ready to step
into DC wonk-land. The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) of 1998
mandated that it is a violation to hack digital rights management (DRM)
employed by rights holders to protect access to digital works. The
objective was to prevent unauthorized users to access digital content. But
Congress understood that sometimes hacking DRM is necessary to make a
lawful use of a work. The rulemaking proceeding is used to identify those
lawful uses that are exempt from the 1201 provision.

Bored already? Don’t be, because this year’s rulemaking was one for the
books – one that led to consumer backlash and executive government
intervention, and…wait for it…Congressional action (not yet).

This story is real…and really ridiculous. Tune in for laughs and a good
dose of snarkiness.

Our speakers are Jonathan Band— familiar to many of you because Jonathan
has been ALA’s copyright legal counsel for years—and Sherwin Siy,
Vice-President for Legal Affairs at Public Knowledge, a civil society
organization that fights the good fight. The ALA Washington Office
collaborates with Public Knowledge on copyright, broadband, access to
government information and other information policy issues.

If we have more than 100 attendees, we are charged some ridiculous amount
that will come out of my pay check! So we ask that attendees watch the
webinar with colleagues when possible.

This is the URL that will get you into the webinar
<https://ala.adobeconnect.com/_a1087453682/r14489hznrx/> on December 3: .
Register as a guest and you’re in. Yes, it’s FREE because the Office for
Information Technology Policy and the Copyright Education Subcommittee want
to expand copyright awareness and education opportunities.

An archived copy will be available after the webinar.

If any issues arise during the webinar (and they always seem to),
information will be posted on this link:
http://www.districtdispatch.org/2015/11/december-copytalk-webinar-scheduled/