The auto-installers they are working on are a great idea, but they even say on their discussion lists that it would be impossible for them to account for all possible configurations people may have.

I’m more of a fan of just doing a small downtime, to add the cert lines to the hosts, and then once you have it all working you just have to run the same script before 90 days are up and auto renew.  They way they set it up you don’t have to change anything after that.  It is pretty neat.

Also, the “webroot” method seems to work great.  It basically adds some temp files to your public directory on your server so the service can verify your ownership.  That way you don’t need to take down the web server.  I used it to add it to all my apache and nginx servers.  This is the command I ended up using:

./letsencrypt-auto certonly --webroot --webroot-path /var/www/html/ --renew-by-default --email [log in to unmask] --text --agree-tos -d example.com -d www.exmaple.com

I then made a cron job to run this exact command in 70+ days to renew.  Tested it once and it renewed my certs by 3 days so it seems to work great.

If anyone needs it, I attached the relevant SSL section from my Nginx conf.  It gets an A+ on the online SSL tester (https://www.ssllabs.com).

— Noel

—
  Noel Díaz
  Instruction & Research Services Administrator
  Information Technology Department
  Purdue University Libraries
  E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
  Phone: 765-494-1787