> Has anyone come up with a good way to provide this sort of access? Thanks,

Isn't this what topic-maps are for?

Topics exist independently of any resources but allow you to link resources to topics (it's kind of like classification in traditional library setting). The problem I'm having is that it is hard to find an engine. No one is working on it any more but the problem still exist. I've been looking at a python engine (mappa) and a python base wiki (meduse-wiki) but I'm still not there. There are lots of unanswered questions but I haven't seen any better solutions.

--Brian