That first tip listed in the Springshare newsletter is easily the
biggest—large, uncompressed images can take a heavy toll on mobile users.
Resizing and then running through a tool like ImageOptim
<https://imageoptim.com/> makes a huge difference. That's by far the most
major thing you can do, other performance optimizations tend to involve
server settings which you won't control with a LibGuides instance. If
you're using a custom theme which includes multiple JavaScript or CSS
files, you can concatenate and minify those.

Best,
Eric