On the other hand, a typical user would expect an in-application feature
called "zoom" to zoom.

There's a tension between website behavior and application behavior that
has yet to be resolved. I think this is the key element where responsive
design faces a challenge. Not every use case with a small viewport is
well-served by the same interface, so some compromise inevitably manifests
in the "narrow" response. (This may also be true of larger viewports -- but
the obvious examples that come to mind are all at the small end.)