Jason,

It sounds like your question is really about whether the tool built into
DSpace for assigning DOIs lets you control which DOI to use for a new
item, or whether you have no control over which DOI it assigns.  For
that, I think you'll need to look into the specifics of the tool built
into DSpace.  The wider DOI system lets you create any DOI you want
within your assigned prefix (such as 10.17348), subject to only minor
syntax constraints.

I don't have a problem with using "data." as a namespace on certain DOIs
that you create.  Namespaces are for your convenience, to avoid
assigning the same identifier to two things.  While it's good to avoid
naming a namespace something that will eventually be meaningless (like
"dspace", I think the term "data" is probably here for the long run.

Kevin