Hi William, comments below:

William Denton:
> On 19 March 2016, Alison Macrina wrote:
>
>> Hi all, Andromeda forwarded me this email and so I decided to join the
>> list in case anyone wants to chat about Tor relays (exits and non-exits)
>> in libraries.
>
> Welcome---I'm glad you joined.
>
> I work at a large university where the library has a small IT department
> and the university has a large one.  University IT ultimately controls
> everything about networking and security.  Library IT is concerned about
> security, and library administration is concerned about making sure our
> contracts with vendors aren't broken by us accidentally opening up JSTOR
> and PsycInfo to Tor users.
>
> How have academic libraries like mine been arranging exit nodes?  Do you
> have any advice, regarding the technology and the advocacy, that would
> help?  We tell vendors our IP range---how could I convince people to set
> up a new one for the exit node?
>
> Bill

So, I just want to clarify some things for the rest of the list (because
this brings up a common misconception). Exit nodes must be on a separate
IP from other traffic. Non-exits are indistinguishable as Tor traffic
because non-exit traffic doesn't leave the Tor cloud. So if you set up
an exit, it would need its own IP, and you'd have vendors exclude that
IP. If it was a non-exit, you wouldn't have to alert vendors at all.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Alison