Iım interested in otherıs thoughts on this as well, particularly when you
have images within a larger set. We have objects with multiple pages (8 of
a 10 in a newspaper, or the back side of a postcard) and the data present
in the metadata record never feels quite right for the lower-level pages
in particular.  Leaving ALT blank will (I think) cause some agents to skip
the image when reading, so thatıs apparently a no go.  The best I can
currently come up with is to point at a longdesc attribute at the OCR or a
transcription for an image if we have it, and provide an aria-describedby
attribute pointing elsewhere on the page with more context for the record
as a whole. Weıre currently in a redesign and Iıve been waffling back and
forth between duplicating the title into the alt with the addition of
pagination cues, truncating the description, or using the physical
description if it exists.

William Hicks

Digital Libraries: User Interfaces
University of North Texas