I'm pretty new to C4L, mostly just an evesdropper.

Sounds though what the group is looking for is to form a lightweight as
possible NGO / Non Profit style entity that can operate as an organization
independent of its constituent parts for purposes of liability.

A business law expert, more specifically a not for profit sector expert in
business law (i'm sure one of the Uni's out there has at least one of
those?) would be worth inviting to a conversation like this.

A framework for operating in a lightweight fashion probably wants to look
something like what in Wisconsin is called an Unincorporated Association.

   - http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/184

I'm not familiar with other States' equivalents, but I'm sure most States
have something like it.

An organization of very loosely coupled entities acting in cooperation here
in Wisconsin, which demonstrates a very successful implementation of the UA
organizational model is the CINC Community Area Network UA in the Eau
Claire region of Wisconsin.

   - https://cincua.org/about/governance/

I'm rather interested in seeing how much momentum this conversation
generates, and to see how or if it alters the course of the fabulously
nebulous Code4Lib ship.

Cheers!

Joshua Klingbeil - IT Director
Wisconsin Valley Library Service

*I have learned that when I am able to empty my mind of *
*                                preconception, predisposition, and
prejudice... *
                 *... what remains is possibility!*

*It's easy to answer "No! And here's why not..."
  It's empowering to answer "Yes! Now let's figure out how..."*

--

<http://facebook.wvls.org>  <http://twitter.wvls.org>