***Apologies for cross-posting***

Senior Rails Developer, UC Santa Barbara Library
Full posting at: jobs.ucsb.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=190470

The UCSB Library’s Information Technology & Digital Initiatives group is currently seeking a Senior Rails Developer to act as an expert on digital library development. The library Information Technology & Digital Initiatives group is a diverse and growing group within the library. Our team supports the wider library as it transforms itself into a vital research and educational tool for the campus at large. We're focused on creating solid, highly usable web systems with the best of the latest web technologies. We work collaboratively on projects to utilize the wide variety of expertise and experience available within the library and the wider UCSB community. We nurture our staff with a mix of strong challenges, cooperative support, ongoing training and learning. We're located on the coast of Southern California, one of the most beautiful settings in the world.

Please see our website for more information on the Library IT & DI department: http://www.library.ucsb.edu/lis-digital
Our Hydra based digital library is available at: http://alexandria.ucsb.edu/

Summary of Job Duties
In a large, complex, and heterogeneous computing environment, this position, under the general direction of the Systems & Repository Director, acts as an expert on digital library development. Act as technical leader with a high degree of knowledge in the overall field and recognized expertise in library software development. Problem-solving frequently requires analysis of unique issues/problems without precedent and/or structure. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources. Functions with a high degree of autonomy. Applies advanced software concepts and objectives to medium to large projects of broad scope and complexity. Regularly resolves highly complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors. Selects tools, methods, techniques and evaluation criteria to obtain results.

Minimum Requirements
  • Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or other applicable area of study.
  • Demonstrated mastery of complex technologies.
  • Demonstrated mastery of system life-cycle concepts, management and planning.
  • Demonstrated ability to apply ITIL and/or SEI Key Practice concepts to system implementation and support approaches.
  • Demonstrated ability to lead technical teams through complex system implementation initiatives while dealing with changes and meeting deadlines.
  • Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively within a technology organization to achieve organizational goals and objectives.
  • Excellent English oral and written communication skills.
  • Adept at communicating technical issues to wide variety of users.
  • Ability to document requirements and specifications.
  • Knowledge of Relational Databases, SQL and ORM technologies.
  • Experience in designing interactive applications.
  • Experience with Web Development.
  • Experience working in an academic environment.
  • Self-motivated with ability to work independently or closely with team.

Desirable Requirements
  • Experience with Hydra based digital repositories.
  • Experience with Blacklight, Fedora Commons, Solr.
  • Experience with Geographic Information Systems such as ARC Gis, Open GIS.
  • Experience working on large scale open source software projects.
  • Experience building web applications with Ruby on Rails web framework.
  • Knowledge of Web Application security issues and best practices.
  • Experience working in a Library.
Application Information
For primary consideration apply by 8/10/16, thereafter open until filled.
APPLY ONLINE at: https://jobs.ucsb.edu
Job #20160357

The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.

--

*Chrissy Rissmeyer*
Metadata Librarian

To unsubscribe from the DLF-ANNOUNCE list, click the following link:
http://lists.clir.org/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DLF-ANNOUNCE&A=1