On Tue, 13 Dec 2016, Cary Gordon wrote:

> Amazon Glacier would run about $7 per year for 46GB.

We looked into cloud storage for work, but we found there to be two
problems.  The costs aren't nearly as signficant for you (our data is
currently growing at about 2TB/day ... and has been since spring of 2009)

... but the potentially bigger problem was that they don't guarantee the
data.  Most have an SLA on uptime, but (at the time we looked) nothing on
data retention.

As we had to give a report on what it'd cost us to move to 'the cloud' as
our data center is scheduled to shut down next year.  (consolidation
pushed from up on high), we tried figuring out what the risk was if we
kept copies at multiple cloud storage providers, but there were concerns
if the FedRamp approved clusters were all in Loudon County, VA, and thus
could all go at the same time if there was something that happened in the
real world.

... and it doesn't help that my boss hates tape.  I think everyone from my
generation or before has been stung by a backup tape that couldn't be read
until you found the exact drive that wrote it.

So you might want to go with Amazon Glacier, BackBlaze B2, *and* Google
Coldline storage to reduce your risk.  It should all be under $20/yr for
the volume you're talking about, but I'm going to assume that your volume
will likely grow, so you might have to re-evaluate in a few years if they
don't drop their prices with time.

-Joe

ps. There *are* charges for retrieval with the cheap offline storage
     options ... eg. Google wants $0.05/GB for retrieval from Coldline, but
     only $0.007/GB/month for storage.  And some of them have additional
     penalties if you try to retrieve more than a given percentage of your
     data in a month ... so making more copies of the data at some future
     time could get expensive.