Hi,

Last year, following a discussion about whether to formalize Code4Lib,
a group of us got together to investigate various options for
establishing a more permanent fiscal arrangement for Code4Lib
activities, including but not necessarily limited to the annual
conference.

Our report is now ready for the Code4Lib community to consider:

https://wiki.code4lib.org/FCIG_Report

This report is also available in PDF and Markdown; links to that can
be found on the FCIG's main wiki page [1].

In our report, we describe several options:

* Option 1: maintain the existing practice of local conference
planning committees seeking a new "fiscal host" each year

* Option 2: implement a formalized, ongoing fiscal sponsor arrangement
with an organization external to Code4Lib. In particular, we have
solicited proposals from ALA/LITA and DLF/CLIR; these are detailed in
the report.

* Option 3: seek out non-profit organizational status for Code4Lib

We also propose a process for discussing the report and its proposals
online during the months of January and February and at Code4Lib 2017
in Los Angeles, then make a decision whether to proceed with one of
the options, either in the report or arising from the discussion.

Folks from ALA/LITA and DLF/CLIR will be participating in the online
discussions, so please feel free to direct questions at them. If they
get a lot of questions, the FCIG may step in to help buffer the
questions.

I want to acknowledge that the notion of Code4Lib adopting a fiscal
sponsor or forming a separate nonprofit organization has implications
for our conception of our community and how we organize ourselves.
Discussions of such foundational issues can be difficult, even
fraught; kindness and respect should rule the conversation.

I would like to thank the folks who have contributed to the work of
the IG, and apologize if I've left any names out:

Gillian Byrne
Galen Charlton
Cary Gordon
Tom Johnson