*DON’T AGONIZE, ORGANIZE! *The award winning, record breaking Art+Feminism
Wikipedia Edit-a-thon is happening this March. Join us again or organize
for the first time to improve Wikipedia and affirm the importance of the
arts and intersectional feminisms. It matters more than ever as we face a
post-fact world, and what may follow. Email us at [log in to unmask]
to learn more about organizing an event.

*WHY? *Wikimedia Foundation found that less than 10% of its contributors
identify as female. While the reasons for the gender gap are up for debate,
the practical effect of the disparity is not: content is skewed by the lack
of female participation. Established in 2014, Art+Feminism Wikipedia
Edit-a-thon is a response to the gender gap in content and participation on
Wikipedia.

As the lead co-organizers of Art+Feminism, we’ve been deeply disturbed by
the sheer amount of fake news on social media, and its influence on the
recent US election. We believe this makes our work even more pressing. Now
more than ever we must gather together to improve Wikipedia and affirm work
of women, people of color, immigrants, the LGBTQIA+ community and other
marginalized peoples.

*HOW? *Hold an Edit-a-thon at your local university, artist run center,
museum, community center, etc! Art+Feminism Edit-a-thons address content
and participation gaps by inviting people of all gender identities and
expressions to gather for communal updating of Wikipedia entries related to
art and feminism. The leadership collective supports Edit-a-thon organizers
by: providing an organizer’s kit with suggested workflow, promotional and
training materials, and more; funding to defray the costs of refreshments
and childcare; and training and support.

*WHEN? *The 2017 Art+Feminism Wikipedia Edit-a-thon at The Museum of Modern
Art, New York will take place on Saturday, March 11, 2017. Node events are
welcome to hold their event on this day or any other date in March, 2017
that makes sense for your community. To learn more and get involved,
contact the lead co-organizers via email: [log in to unmask]

In solidarity,

Siân Evans + Jacqueline Mabey + Michael Mandiberg

e. [log in to unmask]
w. www.artandfeminism.org

--
Siân Evans, MA, MLS