Dear colleagues,

This is a brief update from the ArcLight
<https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/hydra/ArcLight> design team regarding
further progress on the design process, and specific areas for which we are
seeking community feedback and contributions. ArcLight is intended be a
Blacklight <http://projectblacklight.org/>-based environment that supports
discovery and digital delivery of information in archives. The project team
is using a community-oriented, collaborative design process for Arclight
<https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/hydra/ArcLight+Design+Process> to
engage more institutions earlier in the process.

*Completion of design sprints 1 and 2; call for feedback on mockups.* Gary
Geisler and Jennifer Vine (Stanford) recently have completed two out of the
three previously scheduled design sprints, with additional consultation
from Wendy Hagenmaier (Georgia Tech). These design sprints have allowed the
ArcLight design team to make progress in completing the design work
required to allow us to proceed with upcoming development work. During the
first two design sprints, we produced a series of mockups
<https://wiki.duraspace.org/download/attachments/78159864/Arclight-Mockups-Sprints-1-and-2.pdf>,
which are now ready for your feedback.

While we welcome any feedback, we are scheduling 60-90 minute conference
calls to discuss the mockups with any interested community members the week
of March 20. If you are interested, please fill out the following Doodle
poll ASAP: http://doodle.com/poll/mt3wqwzfg83e29au - I will announce the
times and dial-in info for each call at the end of the week.

*Upcoming minimum viable product work cycle (April 3-May 26); call for
community contributions.* Stanford is preparing to kick off an eight-week
work cycle to develop a minimum viable product for ArcLight, as based on
the prioritized requirements
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14GDpEUj07bfd0yCf6lfmRUXNt95CRuwLlXxN1w_nbmc/edit#gid=156189962>.
As part of this, we’re looking for community contributions of software
engineering, user testing, deployment testing and documentation review, and
subject matter expertise.

In terms of specific commitments, Stanford will be allocating 3 FTE for the
duration of the work cycle, and University of Michigan is allocating about
1 FTE during this period (hooray!). If you or your institution are
interested in contributing and can make a potential commitment now, please
complete the online resourcing form: <http://bit.ly/arclight-mvp-resources>.
If you are potentially interested in contributing but have specific
questions regarding commitments or scope, please feel free to contact me
directly at [log in to unmask]

*Lightning talk at Code4lib 2017.* Since we’ve been making significant
progress over the last few months, I gave a lightning talk at last week’s
Code4lib conference in Los Angeles. My slides can be viewed here: <
http://bit.ly/arclight-c4l17>.

We look forward to your feedback, and appreciate your interest and
enthusiasm about ArcLight!

Best,

The ArcLight design team

Gary Geisler, Jennifer Vine, Laura Wilsey, and Mark Matienzo (Stanford
University Libraries)

Nabeela Jaffer, Chris Powell, and Mike Shallcross (University of Michigan)

Wendy Hagenmaier (Georgia Tech)