We invite your participation in Endangered Data Week, a distributed network of events running from April 17th-21st, 2017:

Endangered Data Week is a new, annual, grassroots effort to:
  • raise awareness of threats to publicly available data of all kinds, across sectors and disciplines;
  • provide opportunities to explore the power dynamics of data creation, sharing, privacy, and retention;
  • build community capacity by teaching ways to make #EndangeredData more accessible and secure.

Browse for online events and opportunities near you: http://endangereddataweek.org/map/

Nothing nearby? Please help make this first EDW a success by planning a gathering and adding it to our list and map!

We especially encourage events that promote care for endangered collections by:
  • publicizing the availability of datasets to diverse communities;
  • increasing critical engagement with data, including through visualization, analysis, and storytelling;
  • encouraging activism and advocacy for open data policies;
  • fostering needed skills through workshops on data curation, documentation and discovery, improved access, and preservation.

Finally, we welcome contributions to our small supplementary collection of EDW resources.

Endangered Data Week is facilitated by a dedicated team of volunteers, including Brandon Locke and Jason A. Heppler, supported by the Digital Library Federation and in partnership with a new DLF interest group on Records Transparency/Accountability, led by Rachel Mattson. Additional supporters include DataRefuge and CLIR.