On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 9:04 AM, Eric Lease Morgan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The center’s services are free, as in free beer. But the services
> represent real scholarly effort. As such there is a desire to make explicit
> our contributions. Such is part of the academic tradition....
>
> On the other hand, much of this flies in the face to traditional
> librarianship, and after all, library services have always been free, and
> if we require memorandums, copyright statements, and/or acknowledgements,
> then the scholars may simply do without....

The answer really depends on your environment and how this stuff is used.
Even if nothing is required, the academic tradition encourages attribution
to a fault. Whether or not it's present, people interested in something
look up the source and if they're not interested, they probably won't even
notice required attributions. As a practical matter, the net outcome
probably won't be that much different one way or the other from a promotion
point of view.

Since you mention data, I would be careful about attaching specific
requirements to that. Research often requires data from many sources, and
individual requirements make combining and creating derivative products
difficult or even impossible rendering the original sources useless. It
also makes it difficult to include such resources in shared environments.

<soapbox> Libraries have always dedicated themselves to making information
produced by others available as freely and seamlessly as possible. We
should eat our own dog food and not make our own stuff harder and more
confusing to use than other resources we provide to users. </soapbox> But
who you report to and what they expect might be major factors regardless of
other considerations.

kyle