Hi all,

Passing on some info from our colleagues at SAAM about an upcoming lecture here in DC: "Breaking New Ground: Computational Tools for Art Scholarship”. Love all the intersections between art, engineering, and conservation going on there. See below for full details.

________________

On July 20th Dr. C. Richard Johnson Jr. and Mr. Paul Messier are scheduled to give afternoon lecture at SAAM in Washington, D.C. on signal processing and art conservation. I wondered whether there was any way in which CLIR might help us to spread the word about this program? We have substantial interest from the conservation community, but we believe this talk would appeal to a much broader audience. Any help or information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Please don’t hesitate to let me know if you have any questions.

“Breaking New Ground: Computational Tools for Art”

THURSDAY, JULY 20, 2017

3:30 – 5PM

Event Information: http://s.si.edu/2rOio0y

Computer processing of scientific images of artworks—using algorithms from engineering applications—has advanced rapidly over the past decade. These tools have allowed researchers to more clearly identify authenticity and dating, while also shedding light on artists’ original intentions. Rick Johnson, the Geoffrey S. M. Hedrick Senior Professor of Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, at Cornell University, and Paul Messier, Pritzker Director of the Institute for the Preservation of Cultural Heritage Lens Media Lab at Yale University, discuss their groundbreaking collaborative work that combines expertise from the worlds of signal processing and art conservation.

Johnson introduces a range of applications based on matching manufactured patterns in art supports, including those of canvases used by van Gogh and Vermeer as well as the laid paper for Rembrandt’s etchings. Messier demonstrates how this work is put into practice in his pursuit to characterize the “genome” of twentieth-century photography.

Location: American Art Museum

Event Location: Nan Tucker McEvoy Auditorium, Donald W. Reynolds Center, 8th and G Street NW, Washington, D.C.

Cost: Free

Questions? Please contact [log in to unmask]

Becca Quon

Program Associate – The Digital Library Federation

1707 L Street Ste 650, Washington, D.C. 20036

diglib.org | clir.org