I'd like to thank Eric, Carol and Tim for resurfacing this thread, Like
Tim, I disagree with Eric's ordering, and would place chartering at the top
of my list (with incorporation second and doing nothing last).

I am not sure why Eric thinks that obtaining fiscal sponsorship from
another organization suggests that "we" are giving up autonomy. The
previous discussions with both ALA/LITA and DLF/CLIR have indicated that we
will retain autonomy (presumably in conference planning, particularly
around the program).

My preference would be to consider DLF/CLIR as the preferable option, which
is informed by the due diligence undertaken by FCIG, as well as the
organization's track record. They are already hosting this email list, and
have demonstrated the ability to provide this support of financial
infrastructure for a number of initiatives and collaborations, including
IIIF, IIPC, and several others.

Best,
Mark