As someone who has co-founded and was president of a 501(3)c organization
[1]  and was a long-time steering committee member of ELUNA, a 501(c)6
organization [2], I believe the adminstriva of being incorporated and a
"real" organization, is substantial.

I also do not know that it gets us past one of the major hurdles Code4Lib
has in putting on conferences, which is being able to sign contracts with
hotels/confernce centers for meetings, at least not with significantly more
overhead then partnering with an organization such as DLF/CLIR would be
(and also likely requires more income then Code4Lib has (which might lead
to dues, etc. at some point down the road in order to be sustainable)).

The amount of money that needs to be guaranteed to secure a meeting space,
food, and hotel blocks for a conference the size of Code4Lib is substantial
and I don't think Code4Lib Inc. would have the funding to do so on its own.
True, it might make it easier for university libraries or others to partner
with Code4Lib Inc. to put on a conference, so it would have a positive
benefit in that regard but it only goes so far in addressing this issue.

Edward

[1] http://lugip.org - not very active anymore.
[2] http://el-una.org/