> The details depend on the fiscal sponsor. In all the cases we are
considering, the fiscal sponsor is already incorporated as a legal entity
and provides that legal entity status to hosted organizations as part of
the hosting.

Yes, this matches how it works with many non-library projects I've been
involved or aquainted with. You become a 'project' of the fiscal sponsor,
you do not need to be independently incorporated.

I suppose theoretically if you were independently incorporated and had a
Memorandum of Understanding, that MOU might protect you if the fiscal
sponsor became untrustworthy and decided to abscond with all your money for
some other purpose.  I don't see this being a significant threat here. I
know of many projects which have had various trustworthy fiscal sponsors
without the project being incorporated, without incident. It is a common
practice.