I had a couple thoughts/questions about the timeframe for voting, and the
method for voting.

*timeframe for voting *

I think we should stick with Galen’s proposed voting time frame of August
14-25, as a minimum amount of time; I agree that the voting window should
be at least two weeks long.

Starting the voting before August 14 seems OK, as long as that could allow
for enough time to complete the OLF and DuraSpace sections with the same
degree of thoroughness that went into the discussions with previous
organizations.

If possible, I think the FCIG should follow the same process with OLF and
DuraSpace that we used in our other discussions: gather responses from the
organization based on the list of questions for potential sponsors, offer a
follow-up conversation for any clarifications, share a draft of the option
for discussion within the FCIG, and then share the report with the broader
c4l list. I believe that we should be consistent in this process so that
the terms of each option are represented as fairly and accurately as
possible, and so that FCIG members have time to think through/talk through
any concerns or questions about an option before including it in the
report. I think it will likely take until at least August 4 to complete
these steps.

*method for voting*

I understand the reasons for the suggestion of approval voting, but I’m
concerned about the wording for the questions if we use this method. To me,
the example questions read in a way that puts the voter in a somewhat
passive role: the options read like things that would be done, by some
external agent/a circumstance that would arrive, and the voter is being
asked whether or not they would find that circumstance acceptable when it
arrives. (examples in this thread: [3] https://lists.clir.org/cgi-
bin/wa?A2=CODE4LIB;7084ab47.1707)

I’d prefer that the questions are framed so that voter is in a more active
position: “which option should we implement? which route do you see as the
best choice?” I know the suggested question format was just an initial
example to demonstrate the concept of approval voting - but I see this
active/participatory role as an important quality to integrate into the
ballot, especially since  “maintain status quo” (do nothing) could have the
momentum of loss aversion. For this reason, I’m strongly in favor of the
suggestion to draft the ballot in github.

- Morgan