Digital Citizenship in Today's Libraries
August 30, 10:30-12:30 pm (CDT)
In today's world, information is communicated and learned through a wide variety of media channels and sources, most of which are through some sort of electronic or digital device. Therefore, becoming media and information literate requires a new set of digital skills that is ever evolving as technology changes at a rapid pace. Mastering these new skills, is what prepares students, patrons, and everyone in our communities to become digital citizens. In this course, we will define what it means to be a digital citizen, followed by deep-dives into the nine elements of digital citizenship. Throughout the discussion, we will identify services and programming opportunities that libraries of all types can provide to help promote digital citizenship in their communities. Register today at https://www.amigos.org/node/4498. Early bird registration ends August 8.

Clicking the Bait: helping Patrons Decipher Fake News and Alternative Facts (back by popular demand!)
September 7, 10:00-12:00 pm (CDT)
A 2016 study from Stanford University reports that most middle school to college age students are unable to evaluate information and news they come across online. According to a different study released by Pew Research Center last year, two-thirds of adults say the prevalence of fake news confuses them about current events. Librarians have always been at the forefront of information literacy, but the recent influx of fake news and alternative facts in the media and elsewhere has made our role more important than ever. In this course, we will learn how to identify misinformation and alternative facts by applying various media/information literacy techniques and exploring resources that can be used to separate fact from fiction. In turn, you will be able to pass this knowledge on to your patrons to help them decipher what is fake and what is real information. Register today at https://www.amigos.org/node/4317. Early bird registration ends August 16.

Cataloging eBooks: RDA and Provider-Neutral Guidelines
September 7, 10:30-12:30 pm (CDT)
Cataloging eBooks in a shared cataloging environment presents unique challenges. What is it--a book or a computer file? For the purpose of cataloging, is a PDF the same as an ePub, Nook or Kindle file? This two-hour workshop will answer these questions and more. The topics to be covered include: RDA definitions for online resource and eBook; RDA instructions and provider-neutral guidelines for cataloging eBooks; building MARC records for eBooks. Register today at https://www.amigos.org/node/4500. Early bird registration ends August 16.

View our entire training schedule at http://www.amigos.org/continuing_education.

Jodie

________________________

Jodie Borgerding
Consulting & Education Services Manager
Amigos Library Services
1190 Meramec Station Road, Suite 207 | Ballwin, MO  63021-6902
800-843-8482 x2897 | 972-340-2897(direct)
www.amigos.org<http://www.amigos.org/> | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Privacy and Security for Today's Library
Online Conference
September 21, 2017
Register<https://www.amigos.org/library_privacy>