At a former research university employer, I talked to a new high-level
research data officer type person, whose team had spent months just trying
to make a list of all (or even most) of the academic/research
organizational units currently existing, and their hiearchical
relationships. Before even getting to change management for the future.  No
such list or org chart even existed.