*apologies for cross-posting*

Will the art of the digital age last even one lifetime? If cloud computing fails, where will our documentation be? As the internet pioneer Vint Cerf recently asserted in conversation with Rhizome’s preservation director, Dragan Espenschied, “Preservation by accident is not a plan,” begging the questions, What is the plan? and Do we have one? If we do not develop solutions now, we risk losing not only born-digital artwork but artists’ archives as well, effectively erasing the work and memory of this generation and subsequent generations’ art history.

Today, an artist’s closetful of cardboard boxes is likely stuffed with old laptops and iPhones along with analog ephemera, handwritten letters, snapshots, and postcards. Artists’ archives are increasingly hybrid collections, requiring new, adaptable preservation methods. Even artists working in traditional media like painting and sculpture rely on born-digital methods to help create their art, manage records, and promote their work, while other artists create solely with born-digital materials. What does this mean for artists and their archives—both presently and in the future? Will these integral records that constitute the history of an artist’s practice and oeuvre be available at the end of this decade, let alone to scholars of later generations?

Hosted by the Yale Center for British Art, this National Digital Stewardship Residency for Art Information (NDSR Art) symposium will be held on May 11, 2018. It will explore topics engaging the theme of born-digital preservation and artists’ archives, including the following: artists’ use of born-digital methods within their practice as means of creation as well as documentation; the state of the field for artists and those who steward their collections and archives; what is being done by artists, museums, archivists, and librarians to steward and preserve the born-digital components of artists’ records?; how are born-digital tools changing artists’ studio practice, and what have we already lost?; and how are museum archives handling hybrid and born-digital artists’ archives—where among these bits and bytes is the artist’s hand?

NDSR Art would like to hear about case studies from artists, librarians, and archivists working with born-digital records, their challenges, and possible preservation solutions; what tools are being used, adapted, and developed for the digital preservation of artists’ archives?

This event is co-sponsored by: the Yale Center for British Art, the Robert B. Haas Family Arts Library, Yale University Library Digital Preservation Services, Art Libraries Society of North America (ARLIS/ NA), and the National Digital Stewardship Residency for Art Information (NDSR Art).

Please submit a proposal of three hundred words maximum for consideration no later than February 15, 2018 to Cate Peebles, NDSR Art, Postgraduate Research Associate: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Cate Peebles
Postgraduate Associate, Archives
National Digital Stewardship Resident for Art Information
Yale Center for British Art
1080 Chapel Street, PO Box 208280
New Haven, CT  06520-8280
+1 475-202-2390 | britishart.yale.edu<http://britishart.yale.edu/>

CURRENT EXHIBITION
Britain in the World<http://britishart.yale.edu/exhibitions/britain-world>
Yale Center for British Art Reinstallation

UPCOMING EXHIBITION
The Paston Treasure: Microcosm of the Known World<http://britishart.yale.edu/exhibitions/paston-treasure-microcosm-known-world>
Yale Center for British Art: February 15–May 27, 2018

TRAVELING EXHIBITION
“Things of Beauty Growing”: British Studio Pottery<http://britishart.yale.edu/exhibitions/things-beauty-growing-british-studio-pottery>
The Fitzwilliam Museum, University of Cambridge: March 20–June 18, 2018