Each year the Wikipedia Library team, in collaboration with GLAM folks
(Galleries, Libraries, Archives & Museums) all around the world, asks a
simple favor: Give Wikipedia the gift of a citation for its birthday.

Website:
http://1lib1ref.org

This year Wikipedia turns 17 and it's our third annual #1Lib1Ref campaign.
The 20-day campaign is now in its second week... What's happened so far?

Across the languages we are tracking, editors have added 2097 citations in
21+ languages.

5 languages have made over 100 edits: English, French, Hebrew, Serbian and
Catalan.

View contributions by language:
https://twitter.com/WikiLibrary/status/955590632545726464

On social media #1Lib1Ref is a hype-machine. 37 countries have made 2260
Twitter posts reaching 4.4 million potential readers 8.1 million times.

We invited librarians (and library-lovers) around the world to participate. Our
Wikimedia Blog post, written by #1Lib1Ref originator and GLAM Strategist
Alex Stinson, set the tone and made the case:

Read blog:
https://blog.wikimedia.org/2018/01/16/1lib1ref-2018/

The blog included a visual 'explainer' video created by Wikipedia Library
team member Felix Nartey, narrated by famous U.S. Librarian Jessamyn West.

Watch Video:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:1Lib1Ref_MySimpleShow_Explainer_Video.webm

We promoted the Story of #1lib1ref on social media using an 8-part
TweetStorm:

Read Tweetstorm:
https://twitter.com/WikiLibrary/status/955507752410869760

Also we redesigned a simple new graphic and logo for the campaign:

View Graphic:
https://twitter.com/WikiLibrary/status/955507757880295424/photo/1

Each year #1Lib1Ref grows and brings in more people from libraries, and
more people who believe that Wikipedia and librarians share a mission which
benefits from collaboration. It's an exciting part of our work and we're
very thankful to everyone who adds to its impact and success!

Join in. Make an edit. Teach someone how to add a citation. Share something
nice about the campaign this week in your social media circles. Help share
free knowledge. #1Lib1Ref. Pass it on...

Best,
Jake Orlowitz
Head of The Wikipedia Library
@JakeOrlowitz