[Hearty congratulations to Brandon, Rachel, Sarah, and Jason of the EDW team
, who have been selected to join Mozilla’s
fifth cohort of Open Leaders
! Please see below for a reminder of the fast-approaching second annual Endangered Data Week
not too late
to organize and advertise your group’s event!]
You are invited to participate in the second annual Endangered Data Week, a distributed network
of events running from February 26th - March 2nd, 2018:
Endangered Data Week is an annual, grassroots effort to:
- raise awareness of threats to publicly available data of all kinds, across sectors and disciplines;
- provide opportunities to explore the power dynamics of data creation, sharing, privacy, and retention;
- build community capacity by teaching ways to make #EndangeredData more accessible and secure.
Nothing nearby? Please help make the second EDW a success by planning a gathering and adding
it to our list and map!
We especially encourage events that promote care for endangered collections by:
- publicizing the availability of datasets to diverse communities;
- increasing critical engagement with data, including through visualization, analysis, and storytelling;
- encouraging activism and advocacy for open data policies;
- fostering needed skills through workshops on data curation, documentation and discovery, improved access, and preservation.
Executive Director of the Digital Library Federation, CLIR
Research Associate Professor of Digital Humanities, UVa