OVERVIEW

Newfields seeks a talented Software Developer to work as part of the Newfields Lab (https://discovernewfields.org/newfields-lab). We are a group of designers, developers, and digital strategists who create technology solutions for Newfields and other institutions in the cultural sector. We engage audiences in immersive experiences through technology by developing new ways for people to interact with art, nature, their environment, and one another.

The Newfields Lab serves as the in-house development team for Newfields. We also undertake contract and consulting work for a variety of cultural institutions and participate in various grant-funded and collaborative initiatives. We specialize in online collections, data and systems integrations, online and in-gallery interactives, digital publishing. We work with museums, archives, libraries, galleries, historic societies, gardens, and other cultural institutions. Our past clients include the Virginia Historical Society and The Mariners’ Museum and Park, among others, and we are active partners in the American Art Collaborative linked data consortium.

We are currently looking for a software developer with strong server experience. We need someone who is passionate about creating efficient, modular, stable, and maintainable software. We also need someone with an aptitude for improving systems and processes, someone who enjoys organizing and refactoring, someone who is not afraid to dive into a server and figure out what makes it tick. Experience with data management is a plus.

Primary Responsibilities:

The following responsibilities describe the general nature of work for employees in this position, but this is not intended as an exclusive or all-inclusive inventory.

·         Work collaboratively with designers, developers, and data managers to create new software and services

·         Create clean, well-documented, and efficient software and services

·         Maintain, optimize, organize, and document existing sites, services, and systems

Required Skills:

·         Strong written and verbal communication skills

·         Aptitude for analyzing diverse systems, processes, databases, schemas, etc.

Desired Skills:

·         Proficiency in other languages such as Objective-C, Java, and shell scripting

·         Experience with cultural heritage collections management systems

·         Experience with asset management systems

·         Familiarity with Windows and interest in Windows Server

·         Experience with LOD (Linked Open Data) and managing SPARQL endpoints

·         Interest in cultural heritage data, including standard ontologies and vocabularies such as CIDOC-CRM, CDWA, Getty Vocabularies, Dublin Core, etc.

·         Interest in the arts, archiving, or digital humanities

Education and/or Experience:

·         Ability to develop process improvements and documentation

·         Experience with optimizing, organizing, and documenting systems and processes

·         Experience with Linux-based servers

·         Experience with server side languages, especially Python or PHP

·         Experience with MVC web frameworks such as Django or Laravel

·         Experience with content management systems such as Drupal or Concrete 5

·         Experience with RDBMS interfacing with MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc.

·         Experience developing and interacting with REST-ful web services

·         Experience with modern version control (Git) and workflows

A competitive salary is offered for all positions and a generous benefits package for full-time positions. To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.

----
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: https://jobs.code4lib.org/jobs/29189-software-developer