The DLF Digital Library Pedagogy professional development and resource sharing subgroup invites all interested digital library pedagogy practitioners to contribute to the creation of an online, open resource focused on lesson plans and concrete instructional strategies. The DLF Digital Library Pedagogy group is an informal community within the larger DLF community that is open to anyone interested in learning about or collaborating on digital library pedagogy. We use the hashtag #DLFteach to organize Twitter conversation, and we also hold open office hours via the Digital Humanities Slack.

Further information about the scope and planned work scheduled can be found below. We welcome practitioners from all digital library settings, roles, and career stages. Experience is less important than willingness to be involved in the process of creating this resource. Interested contributors should complete the Intent to Contribute form by May 31, 2018 at bit.ly/dlfteach-cookbook-contributors.

The Call for Participation can also be viewed at bit.ly/cfp-dlfteach-cookbook.

Scope

We seek to coordinate a collection of instructional resources that recognizes and reflects the diversity of context and practice within this broad field. We take as models the popular Library Instruction Cookbook (eds. Sittler and Cook) and Critical Library Pedagogy Handbook (eds. Pagowsky and McElroy).

We plan to adopt a template for submissions, as modeled by the Collections as Data Facets project. We envision that contributions will be lesson-plan like: while they won’t necessarily be full lesson plans, they should focus on providing examples of instructional goals and activities that can be put into practice.

Some example contributions might look like:
Potential topics include but would not be limited to:
The goal of this project is twofold: first, we want to gather resources for critical digital library instruction with a bent toward the practical and concrete; second, we want the process itself to be a form of community building and professional development.

In particular, we hope to encourage collaborations that connect participants with new areas of expertise, especially between practitioners of different levels of experience in different areas.

Prospective contributors may elect individual authorship, form their own collaborative pairs or groups, or request to be paired with a collaborator of complementary interest by an Editor. Authors will be connected with a Section Editor who will facilitate the process.

Next steps for participation
Work plan

To meet these goals, we propose a distributed, iterative, and collaborative process to unfold throughout the rest of 2018 along a rough target timeline:
Roles & responsibilities

The purpose of these descriptions is to facilitate your participation at any level that meets your interest and availability at this time. A willingness to show up and take part is more important than prior experience.
Questions? Please contact Liz Rodrigues ([log in to unmask]) or Erin Pappas ([log in to unmask]).

Chelcie Juliet Rowell
Digital Scholarship Librarian & History Liaison, O'Neill Library, Boston College