Hi folks,

Our archives-without-an-archivist currently has an index in card-catalog form, with somewhat variably-structured data (i.e. there's some consistency, but it's a little wiggly and has the occasional handwritten notes and who knows what all else).

We'd like to make the index searchable online. I'm trying to figure out what  (good, easy, low-overhead?) platform that already exists for doing this. We do not currently have a plan to digitize the contents, but something that would support the transition into more digitized contents would be useful. Something that was designed primarily for digitizing documents might work if it wouldn't founder on contents that were mostly just shelf-locations with a line or two of description.

Free and/or open-source preferred, but we'd look at low-cost solutions too.

Does anyone have experience with software that sounds like it could meet our needs?

Thanks,
Ken