By way of an update, Google has made an announcement about this issue (and
others, such as that currently, "delete all cookies" in Chrome 69 does not
delete google-domain cookies):

https://www.blog.google/products/chrome/product-updates-based-your-feedback/

So, it sounds like they will be reverting the most egregious changes in
Chrome 70.

I am noisily resisting my urge to editorialize other than to note that they
evidently got a *lot* of <<loud>> pushback on this before they announced
the upcoming changes.

cheers,

AC