Hi Christina,

I was a little taken aback when I read 'maybe I should not apply for
systems librarian jobs any more since I am not really a full time coder but
more of a "fixer." '

Are you finding that institutions posting vacancies for systems librarians
are expecting full-time coders?

My staff and I do write applications, act as project managers, troubleshoot
pretty much anything, assist with batch operations and data
transformations, manage physical equipment, manage e-resource access, the
ILS coordination, server administration, etc. I consider so much of my job
to be library and library data-oriented that, even though I do also have a
computer science degree, I am still a librarian first. My knowledge of
library-specific data, software, workflows, standards, etc. is key to the
job.

I do understand the interest in marketing yourself, and it can be difficult
to come up with the best generic, non-library words to describe what we do
to the outside world. Maybe you would feel more comfortable considering
yourself some kind of "generalist". I believe that is what they call people
now who basically do a little of everything to fill in any gaps necessary
to keep things running.

I still consider myself a systems librarian, though, and it sounds like
that's what you are, too. I do not really have any other fancy words that I
would be confident about calling myself, but if I were to apply for a job
outside of libraries, or in a larger institution with more siloing, then
for sure I would become "project manager", "developer", "database
administrator", etc.

One thing common to most libraries is uniqueness -- every library has its
own history, skeletons, data clean-up projects, priorities, funding
sources, management structure, etc. So every "Systems Librarian" job is
going to be a little different, and I think it's having those skills of a
troubleshooting library technology generalist that allows us to step into
the role in different institutions and field whatever comes our way.

Best regards,
Lisa

Lisa Genoese
Systems Librarian