All,

We're planning a renovation, and considering getting rid of our
traditional security gates.  It has proven exceptionally difficult to
find space in the proposed floor plans for staff members to monitor the
gates.  We've always had just one gate, by the access services desk, but
the new layout would require two gates, neither with a desk of any kind
in view of it.

We're not especially concerned about lost books.  Most of our materials
aren't especially valuable in and of themselves, and the rare materials
are secured in a vault and not open to patron browsing.  A study of our
stats shows that only 4% of the alarms our existing gates give us
involve actual library materials.  The other 96% are false alarms,
usually caused by cell phones seeking service while passing through the
gates.

What we *are* concerned about is technology and, to a lesser degree,
art.  We have some expensive bits of technology in public areas, and
some moderately valuable artwork on display.  Some of those are
sufficiently small and portable as to be tempting targets for theft.

How have you all dealt with this?  Does your library still use security
gates?  If not, what steps have you taken to secure non-book items in
your buildings?  I'm interested to hear what you've come up with.

Will Martin

Head of Digital Initiatives, Systems & Services
Chester Fritz Library
University of North Dakota