Hi,

Long-time lurker appearing . . .

This is an interesting question to me because I considered systems
librarian to be its own thing.  My official job titles have been IT
Application Engineer, Technology Librarian, and Systems Librarian but
I always introduced myself in the library world as a systems librarian
because it seemed to cover what I do more than anything else.
Broadly, I consider a systems librarian anyone who is primarily
responsible in a library for making library-related software work
better (either at the application level or the code level).  Exactly
how you do that depends on your organization's resources and focus.

One of my favorite parts of the job is tracking down system quirks. I
love a good mystery. Most of the coding I do is either to supplement
things the ILS can't do or can't do efficiently.

(As an aside, I vote for applying to any job you think looks
interesting regardless of whether or not you fit the exact
requirements. Sometimes it's hard to tell in job descriptions what the
organization really needs.)

Gem
Systems Librarian (Actual job title at the moment ;) )