Greetings Digital Stewardship Colleagues,

WHO IS SPN?
Since 2015, the Software Preservation Network (SPN) has worked to create a
space where organizations from industry, academia, government, cultural
heritage, and the public sphere can contribute their skills and
capabilities toward collaborative solutions that will ensure persistent
access to all software and all software-dependent objects. A dedicated and
growing community of practice has formed around SPN as a platform to align
project-based and programmatic efforts in software preservation.

WHY SUPPORT SPN?
To date, the resources we offer have been built through grant funding and
the volunteer efforts of staff from dozens of organizations. Examples of
those resources include a bi-monthly newsletter on all things software
preservation
<https://mailchi.mp/38c7133cf342/stacktrace-news-from-software-preservation-network-september-october-2018>,
U.S. Copyright Office 1201 exemption to preserve software
<https://clinic.cyber.harvard.edu/2018/10/26/a-victory-for-software-preservation-dmca-exemption-granted-for-spn/>,
software metadata crosswalk
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Xq3eqblDUkxcxK69iYI6qZ5Ubd39NZ5bTg3ErJKFY60/edit?usp=sharing>,
software preservation webinar series
<http://www.softwarepreservationnetwork.org/events/#spnevents-1>, and
a software
preservation research scan
<https://connect.clir.org/blogs/wendy-hagenmaier/2017/08/10/help-spn> (stay
tuned for the research toolkit in 2019). Our affiliated projects
include Fostering
a Community of Practice: Software Preservation and Emulation Experts in
Libraries and Archives <http://www.softwarepreservationnetwork.org/fcop/>
(FCoP), Scaling Emulation and Software Preservation Infrastructure
<http://www.softwarepreservationnetwork.org/eaasi/> (EaaSI), and Code of
Best Practices in Fair Use for Software Preservation
<http://www.softwarepreservationnetwork.org/bp-fair-use/>.

If you value the work we have completed to date, and if you would like to
see SPN continue to build our collective capacity for software preservation
through research, advocacy, and educational programming, then please
consider supporting us for the next two years.

HOW TO SUPPORT SPN?
We are requesting financial support for a two-year start-up period to scale
SPN's services and operations. The deadline for submitting Participation
Agreements is December 14, 2018. If we are able to garner adequate support
between now and December 14, SPN will officially launch as a
member/sponsor-funded community on January 1, 2019. Through the financial
support of your organization, SPN will be able to continue working toward
our goal of “Saving Software, Together”.

SPN recognizes that 1) it takes time to receive internal approval and
signatures and the holidays complicate that timeline a bit and 2) invoicing
needs and fiscal year planning cycles vary among institutions so we can
work with each institution to accommodate their invoicing needs.

If your organization can commit to signing on for two year ramp-up period
(2019 - 2021) before December 14th, we can work with you regarding the
administrative hurdles of invoicing after the fact. We would, however,
include your organization’s name in the list of signatories/participating
members in weekly reminders to listservs about joining SPN (between now and
Dec 14).

To support SPN, please complete the attached Participation Agreement and
send to Jessica Meyerson <[log in to unmask]>. All questions (regarding
invoicing schedules, countersigned copies of the agreement, and more) can
also be sent to Jessica Meyerson.

Thank you all - enjoyed an inspired start to your week.

Kind Regards,
Jessica Meyerson (on behalf of the Software Preservation Network)

--
*Jessica Meyerson*
Research Program Officer

Working from Austin, TX