The S3 option seems reasonable, lends itself to the permissions sharing you
need, and is easily automatable.

This solution has the added benefit that developers can simplify transfer
by working directly in AWS if they like. In the case at hand, 1-2 GB is
downloadable. For stuff that's too big to download, it's often easier to
take computing to the data rather than the other way around.

kyle