Hey folks,

The FOLIO LSP uses UUIDs
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universally_unique_identifier) internally
to uniquely identify all things, including bibliographic instances. When
exchanging instance entities with other systems using MARC
(bibliographic), we'd kind of like to use those UUIDs as our 001
identifiers since they're the closest thing to a true system ID we have.
But I wonder if anyone has tried this and experienced problems with MARC
consumers croaking on something like

001 123e4567-e89b-12d3-a456-426655440000

which is not your grandfather's identifier. The LOC MARC documentation
is silent on the length of the 001 field but the MARCBreaker/maker
software recommends staying within 12 characters... I can imagine if
some systems wanted to stick the identifier in a fixed-with database
table, hilarity might ensue.

Any thoughts?

--Sebastian