Research & Collective Bargaining
United Staff Union — Grade 8
Starts at $72,447
To be considered
Please send an email with an attached cover letter and resume to:
[log in to unmask]. Include the position title, and if you are a current member of an AFSCME Local, in the subject line of your email.
Applications will be considered until the position is filled.
However, we strongly encourage applying before December 19, 2018.
Duties, requirements, and desired qualifications
This position is responsible for providing information and research services to union staff and leadership. The ideal candidate will be adept at: selecting and distributing news and other relevant
information for a targeted audience, researching, analyzing, and disseminating information from diverse sources in response to patron requests, contributing to the management, organization, and assessment of the library collection, and providing outreach and
instruction services for users of the Information Center.
- Curates and assembles a daily email newsletter from a wide variety of sources, comprehensively covering key developments
in topics of interest to AFSCME.
- Researches, retrieves, analyzes and disseminates information from electronic and print sources in response to reference requests.
- Synthesizes research findings into structured, digestible reports for a variety of audiences.
- Assists with collection management responsibilities including cataloging, identifying and evaluating potential acquisitions, shelving and weeding
- Performs outreach and instructional services for staff and provides access, assistance and support for Information Center resources.
- Researches, selects and independently assembles and distributes articles for AFSCME Information Center blogs.
- Creates fact sheets, user guides, and other documentation on internal and external electronic communications to foster user self-sufficiency.
- Conducts presentations or instructional sessions for internal and external audiences.
- Remains knowledgeable on issues affecting AFSCME members.
- May supervise clerical support staff.
- Performs other general duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Requirements:
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university; an advanced degree in library or information science is strongly preferred, and three to five years of experience in a library or
similar setting which provides the following skills.
- Ability to identify requestors' needs through use of reference interviews and craft effective search strategies to address
- Ability to synthesize research findings and write clear, organized reports of research results based on the identified information need.
- Skilled in the use of digital technologies and experienced with electronic library information systems, databases and
other information management and retrieval tools.
- Ability to perform sound research and make logical conclusions.
- Ability to evaluate, abstract and analyze data and technical information from diverse sources.
- Knowledge of library administration principles.
- Experience with knowledge and information management principles, strategies and technologies.
- Ability to develop positive working relationships with colleagues and Information Center users.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple demands and deadlines and to balance short- and long-term priorities.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Commitment to AFSCME’s mission.
- Working knowledge of advanced search logic techniques and optimal usage of complex legal, business and news databases.
- Experience with library technical services including administration of OPAC software or other discovery systems and knowledge of metadata and cataloging standards.
- Familiarity with data and information management technologies such as content management system administration, HTML, digital asset management and relational
- Interest in labor relations and public sector institutions, law and policy issues.
AFSCME is an equal opportunity employer, and, as such, does not discriminate an employee or applicant on the basis of race, creed, color,
age, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious affiliation, disability, or any other classification protected from discrimination under applicable law.