From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Josh Welker
Sent: April-29-19 5:34 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Configuring stunnel and question about the origins of SSL certificates

Hi Gagandeep et al,

I am working on setting this up as part of my integration right now. We are moving from Sierra, which uses a non-encrypted SIP connection, to Alma, which is encrypted using Stunnel. The SIP protocol is not secure at all.
It's a known shortcoming. The options, as far as I can tell, are to just live with unencrypted data, to use a VPN between your self-check station and the ILS/LSP, or to use something like Stunnel to encrypt your message on the self-check machine and then decrypt it on the ILS/LSP server. The choice is based entirely on how your ILS/LSP vendor handles it. If they don't have a method for handling Stunnel-encrypted SIP messages, there's nothing you can do about it (except complain I guess).

In Alma, the LSP assigns us a random SSL certificate that contains a public key for encrypting the data. On the backend somewhere, they have a matching private key that knows how to decrypt that data into a plain SIP message.
Stunnel intercepts the data before it leaves your self-check station and encrypts it into a meaningless blob of text. The vendor has set up a process on their server to decrypt the data before trying to process it as a SIP message.

Joshua Welker
Library Systems and Discovery Coordinator James C. Kirkpatrick Library University of Central Missouri Warrensburg, MO 64093 JCKL 2260
660.543.8022