Hi,

We do check out quite a few items like that. Our procedures are very similar to what Nora described. We do circulate a lot of complex pieces of equipment with multiple parts for 7-day checkouts and we use "kit cards" for those items. The kit cards have a list of all parts included in the kit and the student assistants checking the items in and out go through all the parts to make sure everything is in place. We also instruct patrons how to use each of the equipment if they say they are not familiar with it. I highly recommend this as if you don’t show patrons how to use equipment there is a higher chance that damages will occur. We erase all files when cameras/audio recorders are returned and ensure the SD cards are in place. When processing returns all patrons are asked if they transferred their files as they will be erased and we offer them assistance how to if they haven’t or don't know how to. We also have an internal "charging station" where we place items to get charged. Checking out items like such is a bit time consuming and it is definitely a bit challenging at first but after you get a hang of it, it isn't too bad.

For lists of our items:

·         Cameras, tripods, etc.: https://library.csun.edu/learning-commons/creative-media-studio

·         Tablets, laptops, chargers, etc.: https://library.csun.edu/learning-commons/tablet-laptop

I will email you a “kit card” template we have for our GoPro Fusions, I don’t think it would go through here on this listserv.

PS: out of all equipment we have, GoPros are definitely the most damaged items. Their customer support department can be frustrating at times but can also be helpful, it’s a tossup.

I am more than willing to share more information if you’d like!

Good luck!

--Isis

Isis M. Leininger, MLIS

Learning Commons Supervisor, Oviatt Library

California State University, Northridge

18111 Nordhoff Street

Northridge, CA 91330-8326

(818) 677-6305 Office