Taking a look at distant reader (which I don't believe I've looked at before):

(a) It would be great to sanity-check the corpus by running language
identification on each of the files

(b) There are a whole flotilla of technical identifiers that could
useful be extracted from the text files (DOIs, ISBNs, ISSNs, etc)

(c) A little webification of the texts would go a long way

(d) Has thought been put into making them data archive-friendly?

cheers
stuart