Located in New York City, the Metropolitan New York Library Council (METRO) is a non-profit organization working to develop and maintain essential library services throughout New York City and Westchester County. The METRO membership consists of a diverse group of over 200 libraries, archives, and information organizations ranging from New York’s largest libraries to small community archives. METRO provides professional development and continuing education opportunities for our membership, in addition to digitization, metadata, and hosting services for digital collections.

METRO is seeking a developer with experience working as a Drupal 8 site builder and theme developer. We have developed an innovative new open source repository architecture called Archipelago, and as the Digital Repository Developer, you will have a chance to contribute to this project in its infancy! Archipelago uses a modified version of Drupal 8 for the public front end and administrative interface. The first software METRO will build using this architecture will be a digital asset management solution meant for libraries, archives, and museums. Reporting to the Lead Developer, the successful candidate will work collaboratively with our team on our base repository solution, contracts building new custom repositories and new features, and they may manage a portfolio of support contracts as well.

Remote work is acceptable, but preference will be given to candidates who can join us in our studio in New York. This is a one year contract position, and with success we will review and renew this contract annually as funding allows.

This person must:

Communicate well, and work with the rest of the team to gather users needs and then transform them into simple, intuitive interfaces and workflows

Show up with curiosity, creativity, and flexibility every day

Possess problem-solving and critical thinking skills

Be comfortable with a certain degree of self direction: can perform their own research and present new information and solutions to the rest of the team

Be able to work efficiently and meet deadlines

Be respectful, and always follow our code of conduct

We are also looking for these skills:

Demonstrated experience with collaborative full-stack software development: for example, reviewing other people’s code, writing documentation...

Degree in Computer Science, Information Science, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.

Demonstrated proficiency writing PHP and using frameworks as Symfony

Understanding of Drupal 7 and Drupal 8/9 environments

Demonstrated proficiency in SQL and relational databases such as mySQL, Postgres, etc.

Expert level HTML and CSS skills

Experience with Solr

Experience with modern JS, at least for client side development

Experience working with Unix/Linux based OS, managing and deploying services

Understanding of Docker based deployments

A conversant understanding of metadata standards and their value within the library and cultural heritage community

Experience working with JSON/JSON-LD/XML

Experience working with Git and Github for version control and development workflows

Bonus:

Mastery of Twig templating

Experience with Wikibase, Wikidata and Triple stores

Mastery of Docker and Docker Compose

Experience working with AWS and cloud service providers

The starting salary for this position will be $85,000/yr plus benefits package.

METRO is an equal opportunity employer. Read our code of conduct here.

To apply send resume, cover letter, and portfolio to [log in to unmask]

----
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: https://jobs.code4lib.org/jobs/34771-digital-repository-developer