On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 5:46 AM Andrew L Hickner <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> We are exploring moving the Wordpress website for the local chapter of our
> library association to managed hosting. I'd appreciate any advice and/or
> provider reviews you are willing to share, and would be happy to summarize

I generally favor outsourcing commodity services like this unless there is
a compelling reason to do otherwise.

It's easy to underestimate the commitment  self hosting entails. The time
invested learning this stuff doesn't make you better at other things and
comes at the expense developing real expertise that advances core services.
Employment transitions are a disruptive and inefficient because the new
person has to come up to speed and understand local administrative
idiosyncrasies. Technology transitions are a PITA.

Unnecessary self hosting and excessive customization are the vampires of
the library tech world -- they suck out all your blood leaving you with
inadequate energy/expertise to help users and staff with real problems.
When we spread themselves too thin, we undermine our ability to contribute
real value.

kyle