On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 1:55 PM Anne Slaughter <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I hear you. Personally my web dev past is so ancient I'm officially not a
> coder and have to work to get my head around GitHub every time I touch it.

 A number of people have shared similar sentiments with me in the past.
They would like to contribute, but this is a barrier.

My thoughts:

1) Tools that unnecessarily deter otherwise capable people introduce
systematic bias.

2) There's a lot to be said for using the right tool for the job. Github is
purpose designed to manage code, a task it excels at. Using it for other
purposes is a great way to illustrate the adage, "When you have a hammer in
your hand, every problem is a nail."

3) Participation and outcomes would improve if progress were made on (1)
and (2).

kyle