I am pleased to announce a new title in Morgan & Claypool’s series on Information Concepts, Retrieval, and Services:

The Practice of Crowdsourcing
Omar Alonso, Microsoft
Paperback ISBN: 9781681735238
eBook ISBN: 9781681735245
Hardcover ISBN: 9781681735252
May 2019, 149 pages
http://www.morganclaypoolpublishers.com/catalog_Orig/product_info.php?products_id=1411

Abstract:
Many data-intensive applications that use machine learning or artificial intelligence techniques depend on humans providing the initial dataset, enabling algorithms to process the rest or for other humans to evaluate the performance of such algorithms. Not only can labeled data for training and evaluation be collected faster, cheaper, and easier than ever before, but we now see the emergence of hybrid human-machine software that combines computations performed by humans and machines in conjunction. There are, however, real-world practical issues with the adoption of human computation and crowdsourcing. Building systems and data processing pipelines that require crowd computing remains difficult. In this book, we present practical considerations for designing and implementing tasks that require the use of humans and machines in combination with the goal of producing high-quality labels.

Table of Contents: Preface / Acknowledgments / Introduction / Designing and Developing Microtasks / Quality Assurance / Algorithms and Techniques for Quality Control / The Human Side of Human Computation / Putting All Things Together / Systems and Data Pipelines / Looking Ahead / Bibliography / Author's Biography

Series: Synthesis Lectures on Information Concepts, Retrieval, and Services
Editor: Gary Marchionini, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
http://www.morganclaypoolpublishers.com/catalog_Orig/index.php?cPath=22&sort=2d&series=32