Job Description Summary

The Web Project Leader will provide technical vision and oversight for the library’s primary website, www.library.upenn.edu, while also contributing to the front-end development of various other library applications. They will manage a web developer and web designer who develop and maintain the Libraries Drupal platform and associated content management systems. Other library applications that this position will collaborate on include the catalog and digital repository whose lead developers are situated in a department that works closely with the web team.

Job Description

The Web Project Leader and the their team will work closely with a UX Researcher/Designer, application developers, and the Libraries’ Office of Strategic Communication and other stakeholders.  The projects include new and existing web applications that serve thousands of users per day with varying levels of research experience and a wide variety of information and research needs. The Web Project Leader should be a good communicator who can convey trade-offs and plans to colleagues with different levels of technical expertise who represent different library services and audiences.

The Web Project Leader should have a passion for elegant implementation and a demonstrated knowledge of current and emerging technologies that will help the library pursue continuous improvement in user interfaces and UX. They will promote maintainable and secure technologies and inform the implementation of standards that govern interfaces, branding, and other defining elements of the Libraries web presence.  They will have facility with the platforms, methods, and best practices that power our primary sites: Drupal, Ruby on Rails, Javascript, and CSS.

The Web Project Leader will also take a hands-on and coordinating role in efforts to improve the accessibility of our sites, including elements of our portfolio that we license from vendors. They will collaborate with members of the IT and Assessment teams in logging and analysis activities, while ensuring compliance with University policy and library professional norms in the handling of Personally Identifiable Information (PII).

QUALIFICATIONS:

Required:

Bachelor’s degree plus three to five years’ experience implementing interfaces for web applications, or equivalent education plus experience. MLIS or other relevant Master’s degree desirable .
Experience directly managing technical staff
Familiarity with Ruby on Rails, Drupal, Javascript, CSS
Experience with accessibility requirements and testing, tools like WAVE or Dinolytics
Experience with Google Analytics, Matomo, or other logging/analytics tools

Preferred:
Library experience is a plus

----
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: https://jobs.code4lib.org/jobs/39012-web-project-leader