Research Data Management Service Lead - UC Berkeley

UC Berkeley is seeking a collaborative and inclusive Research Data Management (RDM) Service Lead whose principal role will be to oversee the RDM Program, which has university-wide scope to provide tools, consulting, and education to researchers across campus who are working with data. The RDM Program is a partnership between the University Library and Research, Teaching and Learning (RTL).

Working collaboratively with a diverse team of experts from multiple campus departments, the RDM Lead ensures the effective design, coordination, and delivery of the Program’s services, initiatives and projects. They are a campus resource on local, national and international RDM developments and activities and their impact on scholarly inquiry and instruction.

The RDM Program Service Lead works at the intersection of high priority initiatives that have campus-wide impact on research and scholarship. UC Berkeley’s mature yet innovative RDM Program is founded on a strong partnership between the Library and Research IT, and our programmatic approach to consultation has built trust with our research community. Because of our holistic approach to service assessment, development and measurement, we have helped the campus enhance existing services and develop new capabilities needed by our diverse research community. We are especially engaged in developing new services for researchers working with sensitive and restricted data.

For more information, including responsibilities, qualifications, and application instructions, please see our job posting for more information.

Responsibilities

The RDM Service Lead coordinates the programmatic activities of the Research Data Management Program, a program with university-wide scope that is a partnership between Research, Teaching and Learning Services (RTL) and the University Library. The position analyzes campus-wide research data lifecycle challenges; recommends and designs new services and solutions based on requirements gathering performed across a broad range of academic disciplines, and leads multi-departmental teams to solve complex research data management issues. The position ensures the effective coordination and delivery of the Research Data Management Program’s services, initiatives, and projects.

Key Responsibilities include

Manages the research data management program. Under the direction of RTL and Library leadership, leads projects involving multi-departmental teams to define policies, procedures, and services related to research data management, including but not limited to data acquisition, curation, preservation, sharing, and protection.

Provides advanced consulting to researchers and research groups on complex data lifecycle questions.

Coordinates, designs, and develops RDM education and training for internal service providers (e.g., within the RDM Operations team, RIT, and the Library) and externally to researchers (faculty and students) and research support staff.

Develops and implements the communications plan for the program, targeting both internal and external stakeholders. Produces content for the website, including news articles.

Contributes to definition of RDM Program’s goals and evaluates program performance via metrics.

Coordinates the RDM Operations team, a team comprising members from RTL and the Library that carries out the activities of the program and maintains extensive relationships with other experts on campus and beyond.

Required Qualifications

Advanced degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training

Advanced knowledge of research data management issues in complex research and instruction contexts, including data management planning, data curation and preservation, intellectual property, and research data security controls and policies.

A minimum of two to five years experience managing an academic or research program of campus-wide or organization-wide scope, preferably focusing on research data management or scholarship emphasizing the role of research data.

Advanced experience managing and coordinating the activities of multi-departmental project teams and experience negotiating with faculty and campus leadership.

Advanced oral and written communication skills.

Advanced ability to think creatively and independently on concepts requiring advanced analytical skills.

Advanced interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse groups to achieve results.

Advanced ability to work collaboratively with internal and external peers and managers.

Advanced experience with grant proposals and managing grant-funded research projects.

Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.

To apply, click here.

----
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: https://jobs.code4lib.org/jobs/38554-research-data-management-service-lead