Colleagues,

Hopefully many, most, or all of you have heard about RA21 / Seamless Access
Project with the goal to create a universal user experience for end users
being authorized to licensed content or subscription services through our
institutional single sign-on (SSO).  If you are unfamiliar, I encourage you
to learn more at: https://seamlessaccess.org/  I do believe there are both
benefits and challenges for our libraries in implementing Seamless Access
and moving away from proxy / IP-based access.

One of the early and public critiques I personally had with RA21 / Seamless
Access was the lack of opportunity and representation from libraries.
Partially based on speaking up, I was invited to be on the Technical
Steering Committee for the implementation phase of Seamless Access and the
sub-committee for User Entity and Attributes.

One of the critical issues of Seamless Access is how Services Providers
(SPs) must work with Identity Providers (IdP) for release of required or
optional requested identifiable user attributes.  As you can imagine, this
is a contentious issue and requires careful consideration.  It is a high
priority for me and my institutions to protect user data, and I believe
many of your institutions agree.

Thus I have created a brief survey to gather information to help represent
the broadly library community beyond my own institution.  I hope that you
will complete this survey to help us make Seamless Access.  Please note
that you do not need to identify yourself or your institution in completing
this survey.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1hREhVdIBBDNHd_vJWEZft6aRh8auivpfRV5OLwh6qcU

If you or a colleague at your institution will be attending CNI Spring 2020
in San Diego at the end of March, Lisa Hinchliffe and I will be
facilitating a conversation about Seamless Access and user privacy focused
on the context and point of view from libraries and higher education.

I look forward to learning from you all!

Cheers,
Tim

Tim McGeary

Associate University Librarian for Digital Strategies and Technology

Duke University Libraries

919-660-5802

Google/Skype/Twitter: timmcgeary

The Duke University Libraries value diversity of thought, perspective,
experience, and background and are actively committed to a culture of
inclusion and respect.