* please excuse cross-postings! *

Registration for the *Gender and Sexuality in Information Studies
Colloquium 2020 *is now open! GSISC 2020 will take place on July 24, 2020
in Washington, DC at George Washington University.

Register here:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/gender-sexuality-in-information-studies-colloquium-tickets-96743312853

*Technologies and Race, Gender, Sexuality, and the Body in Information
Studies*
Agenda: https://litwinbooks.com/gsisc-2020-agenda/

This gathering seeks to create an inclusive space for difficult, fruitful
conversations around technology, however defined, as it affects and is
affected by race, gender, sexuality, and ability. We aim to foster
conversations that consider “technology” as the expression of material
cultures, labor, and embodiment; as well as sites of empowerment or
oppression.

In libraries, and in the professional discourses of librarianship and
information studies, we often talk about “technology” as a means to an end.
Or, we speculate about technology as though it emanated from the horizon of
a futurity that appears sometimes threatening, sometimes empowering, but
always inevitable: e.g., artificial intelligence will “revolutionize” the
ways we find and use information. Both kinds of discourse omit the ways
technologies begin and end in the flesh — how technologies shape habits of
body and mind, just as those habits influence the design and construction
of technologies.

The planning committee for the 2020 Gender and Sexuality in Information
Studies Colloquium invites you to continue these conversations with us on
July 24, 2020 in Washington, DC at George Washington University.

Please direct any questions or concerns to [log in to unmask]