Just a reminder that the NISO Open Discovery Initiative draft revised
Recommended Practice is still available for public comment
<https://www.niso.org/standards-committees/odi>, and we've *extended the
deadline to March 15, 2020*.

==================================
January 24, 2020: The NISO Open Discovery Initiative (ODI) Standing
Committee <https://www.niso.org/standards-committees/odi> invites feedback
on proposed revisions to its Recommended Practice
<https://www.niso.org/standards-committees/odi>, originally published in
2014 as NISO RP-19-2014 *Open Discovery Initiative: Promoting Transparency
in Discovery*. Librarians, publishers, vendors, and others who are
interested in how content is included in discovery systems are encouraged
to share their comments by March 9, 2020.

Index-based discovery services are now established as one of the main
channels through which users discover and access content. NISO created ODI
in 2012, and published the original ODI Recommended Practice in 2014, to
provide technical recommendations for the exchange of data, including data
formats, methods of delivery, usage reporting, frequency of updates, and
rights of use. It is intended to provide a way of assessing content
providers’ participation in discovery services and to ensure fair and
unbiased indexing and linking.

Standing Committee co-chair, Rachel Kessler (Product Manager, ProQuest),
commented, “Members of the ODI Standing Committee — representing all
stakeholder communities — have been working hard for the past few years to
socialize and support the original NISO Recommended Practice, which has
enjoyed wide implementation. More recently we conducted extensive community
surveys to gather additional data about the current content discovery
environment, which has helped us determine appropriate updates in our
“Phase 2” to benefit even more organizations.”

The second co-chair, Laura Morse (Director, Library Systems & Support,
Harvard University), added, ”In the process of updating the Recommended
Practice, we have added material that affects content providers, discovery
service providers, and libraries.  At a high level, we hope the changes
support better metadata sharing (including information about open access
material) and record display, improved tracking of usage statistics and
authentication mechanisms, as well as providing advice on systems,
training, and communication for libraries that configure and upgrade their
discovery systems.  We also address some areas that were outside the scope
of the original Recommended Practice, such as more detailed treatment of
Abstracting and Indexing (A&I) content products. We warmly invite anyone
who is concerned about the discoverability of licensed content in discovery
systems to share their feedback on this second wave of ODI recommendations,
which have been developed — with NISO’s help — by and for the community.”

NISO's Associate Executive Director, Nettie Lagace, noted, "All
stakeholders in the indexed discovery ecosystem — libraries, content
providers, and discovery providers — expect high levels of service from
each other. The work of the ODI Standing Committee in updating these best
practice recommendations, under Rachel and Laura’s leadership, helps to
communicate these expectations and support the realization of excellent
processes, to ensure their continued value to the information community.
Our thanks to everyone involved; the Standing Committee is looking forward
to reviewing feedback.”

The draft Recommended Practice, with commenting capability, is available at
https://www.niso.org/standards-committees/odi from January 24 through March
9.

_____________________

*About NISO*

NISO, based in Baltimore, Maryland, fosters the development and maintenance
of standards that facilitate the creation, persistent management, and
effective interchange of information so that it can be trusted for use in
research and learning. To fulfill this mission, NISO engages libraries,
publishers, information aggregators, and other organizations that support
learning, research, and scholarship through the creation, organization,
management, and curation of knowledge. NISO works with intersecting
communities of interest and across the entire lifecycle of information
standards. NISO is a not-for-profit association accredited by the American
National Standards Institute (ANSI). For more information, visit the NISO
website (https://niso.org).